A part of Killarney National Park containing several notable features.
Muckross Abbey (Irish: Mainistir Locha Léin and Mainistir Mhucrois) is one of the major ecclesiastical sites found in the Killarney National Park. It was founded in 1448 as a Franciscan friary for the Observantine Franciscans. It has had a violent history and has been damaged and reconstructed many times. Today the abbey is largely roofless although, apart from this, is generally quite well preserved. Its most striking feature is a central courtyard, which contains a large yew tree and is surrounded by a vaulted cloister.
Muckross House (Irish: Teach Mhucrois) is located on the small Muckross Peninsula between Muckross Lake and Lough Leane, two of the lakes of Killarney. Muckross House is a mansion designed by the British architect, William Burn, built in 1843
Along the lakeshore are ancient pathways with several old ruins and restored buildings, and the paved hiking trail The Kerry Way